Upside-Down Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- Fresh strawberries and whipped cream
- 1. Sprinkle marshmallows evenly into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; set aside. In a small bowl, combine strawberries and gelatin powder; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- 3. Pour batter over the marshmallows. Spoon strawberry mixture evenly over batter. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Garnish with strawberries and whipped cream. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 piece: 272 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 183mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Upside-Down Strawberry Shortcake
"Love this recipe! I have been making it for years......"
"I loved this recipe. I made this for Easter and everyone loved it. This is one of my favorites.I followed the exact directions on the recipe."
"followed this recipe exactly to the letter and it did not come out good at all. i dont know what i did wrong here. really upset"
"Simple and turns out great"
"Great Birthday cake"
"Great, easy and tasty but REALLY sweet."
"Wonderful flavor. So much better that anything coming for a box"